Monday, June 30, 2008

And When My Heart Is Overwhelmed, Lead Me To The Rock That Is Higher Than I



Psalm 61

1 Hear my cry, O God;
listen to my prayer.

2 From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

3 For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.

4 I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.
Selah



Psalm 62

1 My soul finds rest in God alone;
my salvation comes from him.

2 He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

3 How long will you assault a man?
Would all of you throw him down—
this leaning wall, this tottering fence?

4 They fully intend to topple him
from his lofty place;
they take delight in lies.
With their mouths they bless,
but in their hearts they curse.
Selah

5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;
my hope comes from him.

6 He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.

7 My salvation and my honor depend on God [a] ;
he is my mighty rock, my refuge.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As Christians, we are taught early in life that God knew everything about us from the beginning of time. What we would look like, sound like, the color of our skin, where and when we would be born, live, and die. However, free will is one of Gods greatest gifts to each of us, so things like a good attitude, a winning spirit, confidence, love for Christ, and a positive outlook are all secondary gifts that God offers, but we must accept for ourselves. I truly believe that Joey's soul was being kept on hold with God until Aug.17 1979, when he could entrust it to the two earthly beings he had planned for Joey's upbringing before he even created the Heavens and Earth. Joe and Karen Johnson. All of who Joey was, all his convictions, beliefs, questions, and the way he lived his life are a direct result of the guidance of a daddy who taught him to dream big, love music, and to praise god with the gifts he was given; and a wonderful mama who showed him the beauty in life, and the endless return on investment that love gives. I grew up watching the two of them raise JoAnne, Jamie, and Joey wishing that some day I could have GREAT kids like those. Your work with Joey is done now. Joe, you once told me that after dad died, you felt guilty about enjoying anything on this earth, thinking "If only dad were here, he would love this!!" Then God replied, "How can you possibly imagine ANYTHING on this earth as great as what your dad has here with me?" Same is true, now, bro. The only thing wrong is that WE feel this was done backwards, right? Parents should not have to bury their children.God shouldnt have had to bury his son, either, but are'nt we all glad he did? Joey is Gods great treasure,and he waited eons just to entrust this boys 28 years to you two. And what a job you did !!! I have no doubt that Joey is quietly resting in the glow of the Lord's embrace as God smiles down upon the both of you and whispers "Well done, my good and faithful servants." Hang in. Love, Steve

Karen said...

Wow Steve...that was beautiful, amazing and inspired. Thank you for writing all of those truths on this day...we needed to hear that so much today. The enemy lurks and works hard to discourage us, while God tells us He is trustworthy even with our most precious treasures. We can't see the "Why", we are trying to keep our eyes on the "Who". We can't survive this loss without God's love and truth carrying us through the darkness. Our hope is in Him.

We love you Steve and thank you for your constant encouragement.

Liza on Maui said...

Hi Karen and Joe,

Glad o see you commented. I had been checking my e-mails and this blog to see if you'd comment. You've been in my thoughts and prayers a lot today. I'm not sure if you've already watched the DVD I dropped off in your doorstep. If not yet, I encourage the two of you to do so as soon as you can. I think that DVD will help cripple the "enemy" who's trying very hard to discourage youat this time.

Love,
Liza