Saturday, June 21, 2008

Happy Ending

The other day, while reading about Joey's life in the Memorial Service Program, I couldn't help but think what a great young man Joey really is. He's perfect .. almost perfect ...yes, almost. This caused me to think further ...

You see, all of us who knew Joey knows that as much as Joey is an awesome guy - he is not perfect. He had flaws and he had sins.

Why am I saying this? Definitely not to dishonor Joey, for Joey's life is worth an honor of a king. I am saying this because I was reminded of a Bible verse, which actually is the Bible verse that caused me to give my life to Jesus more than 20 years ago. It says:

"For we have been saved by faith through grace, not by our works, that no one should boast" (Ephesians 2:8)

I have no doubt Joey is in heaven. I have no doubt we will all see him again one day. I have no doubt that this grieving process is temporary - because life on earth is temporary; it's life in heaven that is eternal.

I have no doubt we will all have a happy ending - that in the end there will be a grand reunion of Joey's family and friends.

Then I started thinking again. Is it right for me to assume that ALL of us will see Joey again? Now a hard question follows: Are all of Joey's friends and relatives "saved"? I mean, do they all believe in Jesus? Not to get into any theological debate or to step on anyone's toes...I was just wondering.

But then the Bible says:

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not die but have an everlasting life" (John 3:16)

Let's back track a little bit. Looking back, I remember when Joe's dad passed away and how sad Joe was. Now I think - wow - Joey and his grandfather are having a blast in heaven! Unfortunately for Joe, he is still here and is missing out on some of the fun that Gramp Johnson and Little Joey are having in heaven, but I guess Joe has to stay a little longer on earth because Chase and Aiden needs him here (so that's not really unfortunate). They need their Papa here to guide them to become like Uncle JJ.

Back to my original thought, I wonder if all of Joey's family and friends know Jesus in a personal way. Not just about him, but really know him. Well, it's not too late. It's not late at all. For Jesus said:

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in ...." (Rev 3:20)

If you're one of Joey's family and friends who decided to "believe in Jesus" in connection with Joey's death (or even someone who didn't know Joey before but happen to just read this post), I urge you to let Joe and Karen know. Call them or e-mail them at rememberjoey@gmail.com I think nothing would bring great comfort to Joe and Karen at this time than to know that someone believed in Jesus as a result of Joey's life and death.

We don't have to understand the theology of this all now. It will come. God will work in us. But what Jesus us asking is "do you believe? do you believe in me?" Joey did.

And if you do, you'll be with us in the "happy ending".

***

The night sets in
Dark and deep
Quiet and calm

A new day rises
Sun shines
Bright rays on the horizon

Happy Ending
Heaven has come


===

* Bible verses are quoted by memory so double check in the Bible.
* Happy Ending is a prompt for post provided by Sunday Scribblings.
* Thank you for continually visiting this blog as a support for Karen and Joe, and the whole Johnson family.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweet, beautiful post. The happiest of endings!